Things I Wish I Said | Consider Him Faithful


There are sometimes when I a preaching that I say something that surprises me.  In fact, most messages have moments where I can't believe that I just said what I said.  Sunday's message was no exception.  I said some funny things that I didn't expect to say.  I said some things about the passage that I didn't plan on saying.  I said something insighftul (IMHO) that I did even think about for the moment, but I think it captures the message on Abraham in one sentence:  Christianity is a "get to" relationship, not a "got to" responsibility.  This thought comes from Romans 4:1-5:
1 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2 If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation.5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.  Romans 4:1-5
God offers us an adventure of faith that is an opportunity not an obligation.

Now, for some things that I wish I said:
  • We can't earn salvation with works, but we must work to live out our salvation.
  • Some are children of God, but not living as friends of God.
  • Abraham didn't always get it right with his actions, but his faith was still effective.
  • Abraham was "fully pursuaded" about God's faithfulness.  We can be, too.
  • What do we do while we wait on God?  Consider Him faithful.  Don't give up.
  • When we live as exiles and strangers, it doesn't mean that we are odd for God.   It means that we look different with our habits, attitudes, desires, and lifestyle.


Comments