It's Official

It's official. Exercising isn't as fun as watching TV. If I have the choice, I will choose TV over a treadmill. Gyms caught on and have TV's hanging over treadmills, but somehow exercising while watching TV takes the fun out of watching TV, too.

So, why am I writing this today?


Well, we joined the HealthPlex that is less than a mile from our house and today was my first day back in the gym. I am committed to making exercise a regular part of my life. My goal right now is 4 times a week. Long term, I would like to see that bump up to 5 or 6 times a week. For this to happen, it needs to become fun for me. So, I need your help. If you are a person who actually enjoys working out, how do you make it fun. What keeps you going? What's your secret?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Get out your fancy iPod and load up on podcasts. Play 'em while you work out.

Also, it helps to give yourself a target or goal to shoot for, such as running a 5K later this year. That way, you're building toward something and not just exercising for its own sake. You'll be more likely to go exercise when you know that if you won't, it will hurt your progress toward that goal.

But seriously, the iPod is your secret weapon here. Get some audiobooks or podcasts.
Mike Hurt said…
Matt...this is great advice. I work good with a goal. Somehow it needs to be more than I'm getting healthier. What's up with that?
Anonymous said…
Again, the iPod is your friend. If a 5K or something has no appeal to you, get War and Peace on audiobook and make it your goal to finish it by Halloween with the provison that you can ONLY listen to it on the treadmill (or whatever). YMMV with the book or content you choose, but with some structure like that, you'll start looking forward to working out.
Rosemary said…
Just do it! Don't give yourself any options. You just have to make it part of your day like taking a shower and brushing your teeth.
Harry
Mike Hurt said…
I am supposed to brush my teeth?