Things I Wish I Said | Self-control



So, as I was walking into church, I found a Bud Light can in our parking lot.  Don't ask me why there was a beer can in the lot.  I have no idea why it was there, but it was.  When I picked it up, God reminded me how much He has changed me over the years.  Before knowing Jesus, I would have been the one leaving cans in church lots.  That all changed when I met Jesus.  Because of His grace and the power of the Holy Spirit in my life, I gained self-control and put down the can.

In James 3, we are reminded that we all stumble in many ways, but that self-control is possible.  James teaches us about the need to tame our tongue and as intentional discipleship step.  If we can control our tongue, He writes, then we can control our entire bodies.  That's where my message stopped, but if you keep reading in James 3,you will be read this:
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. 15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving,considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. James 3:13-18
It's time to show what Jesus is doing in our lives by living the lifestyle of a disciple.  Show the good life your are living with humble acts of service to the Lord and to others. 

Comments