Things I Wish I Said...(Tuesday Edition)

Yesterday, the kids were out of school so we spent the day together.  As a part of our day, we went to see Hidden Figures.  It was a really good movie and a great reminder of how far we have come as a country and a challenge because we still have much work to do when it comes to equally valuing all people.  This has absolutely nothing to do with my message from Sunday, but I wanted to share so that you might go see the film, too.

So, my message from Sunday was 3 of the best messages that I've preached in quite some time.  That's preacher speak for my talk had too much content.  I could have preached for a month on Titus 1:5-16.  With that, here are some things that I wish I said:

  • The church must be about discipleship.
  • The first step of discipleship is believing in Jesus for life.
  • Becoming a disciple (a follower of Jesus) is a decision that every believer must make.
  • Discipleship is a life-long journey.
  • If we are going to grow as disciples, we must check the sources that are feeding our spiritual life.

5 Questions That You Should Ask About Sermons, Books, Blogs and Other Content

  • What is the promise of salvation?
  • What is the purpose of Scripture?
  • Is Scripture being changed or re-explained in a way that bypasses it's original meaning?
  • Does the teacher offer secret teaching that no one else knows?
  • Is the pastor/teacher offering a "new word" or teaching the age old Word of God?
  • How are you challenged to change or grow to be like Jesus?

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

Comments