I have a new favorite football team...

You read that headline right. I am shifting my allegiances to a new team. Who are they? Who will replace the Boys? It's the Denver Broncos. Why? You ask. It's pretty simple. They took a risk by hiring a young leader to become their next coach. While I know very little about Josh McDaniels what I do know is that he is 32 years old. What a bold move to higher a young coach to lead one of the premier franchises in the NFL! Hopefully it will be a genius move. Only time will tell. The Broncos aren't the only ones in the NFL who are into young leaders. The Browns have a new young coach. The Ravens have a young coach. The Steelers have a young coach. The Raiders had a young coach. If McDaniels is more like Tomlin with the Steelers and less like Kiffin with the Raiders then the trend should continue.

I am passionate about young leaders getting their shot at leadership while they are still young because I have seen the fruit of it in my own life. Every step of the way, someone has taken a shot with me stepping up to serve in places and in ways that the calendar says I probably shouldn't. I did Student Ministry when I was 18. I was played a key role in the launch of Parkway Church at 23. I became the Small Groups Pastor at Mclean Bible Church before I was 30 and I led the church's dream to launch ten Community Campuses at the age of 32. Now, at 36, I am leading Parkway Church to become a growing, thriving, healthy church that takes big risks for God.

The church needs to wake up like the NFL seems to be and continue to give young leaders a chance to lead in significant ways. I think that it is happening. Look at Todd Phillips, Steven Furtick, Bil Cornelius, Perry Noble, and dozens of others. God, through his church, is trusting the next generation to lead.

Comments