Things that I Wish I Said...

There are some days when God moves in surprising, you have got to be there type of ways. Sunday was one of those days for Parkway Church. Our 'One Prayer' for the day was "God, Make Us One." I taught one of the most in your face messages that I will ever teach. I am more than passionate about the unity of this church and the oneness that God wants to bring back to Parkway Church. I wasn't sure how everyone would respond. The response blew me away. It seemed like the harder I pushed the more God did. At the end of the service, there was a spontaneous commitment to stand as one. There was repentance. There was commiment to fight against the unity killers that creep in. It was a powerful moment. Once the message is posted on our site, I will post it here, too. You are going to want to listen. Trust me.

Then on Sunday night, we had a business meeting where we called new deacons and elected new advisors. There are two things that you need to know about this meeting. First, the crowd at the meeting is testimony to the excitement that is building. There was a great crowd for a Sunday afternoon meeting. Second, the spirit in the room and the vote was evidence of the working of God in our midst. I was tempted to break into the old hymn "There's a sweet, sweet spirit in this place," but I restrainted myself. :-) Anyway...we called 4 new advisors and 11 new deacons. We also had deacons rotate back into service. I love seeing men step up in servant leadership!

Okay now for the things that I wish I had said.

1. The difference between a negative critical spirit and a concerned spirit who wants to see things improved is shown by who you are talking to. If you are taking your thoughts, ideas, or concerns to someone who can solve the problem, then you aren't being a negative, critical person. On the other hand, if you are talking with others because you think they might agree with you or you are looking to build a little consensus, then you need check your heart and make a change.

2. Unity is more than a feeling. It's a common commitment that leads to action. Let's not just talk about being unified. Let's show our unity by making a huge differnece TOGETHER in this town.

3. I think that I became your pastor yesterday. You called me to be your pastor a couple of months ago. I moved here to become your pastor 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, you followed me and allowed me to challenge you as your pastor. Many times, people never follow the pastor that they call to lead them. This is not the case at Parkway. Thanks for that.

Comments