Confirmation [Part Two]

As I get started with day two, let me just say that Scripture is the starting point for confirming God's will. It comes before all else - especially circumstances. Now on to how God has confirmed my call to pastor Parkway Church through his word.

For years, 1 Timothy 4:12 has been my badge of honor. Some might even say it has been my life verse up to this point. Simply put, this verse speaks clearly to me that I even though I am young, I am to set the example for believers of all ages in my speech, in my life, in my love, in my faith and in my purity. Since I am usually one of the youngest leaders in my leadership circles, I have had to take this verse to heart many times knowing that my character matters more than my age.

Then a few months back, God began pulling me through the rest of the passage and confirming that I was called to not only lead but to pastor. I began to wrestle with the fact that character and calling matter. All of this came from that same 1 Timothy 4 passage. Read it here.

12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

In verse 13, I find my calling. I am fully committed to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. This is what I was created to do and this is what God has called me to do. This is what I will do. By the way, I think this verse will also shape the kind of preacher that I am. I see a Bible centered drive in Paul's words to Timothy that I want to live out. (More on that in a later post.)

In verse 14, I also find God's timing and my people. The challenge to not neglect my gift was a significant one. This wasn't the first time that I heard this either. When I was making the move to DC, a long time Parkway member and friend of mine challenged me to not lay down my teaching gift and to use it to the fullest of my ability. I committed to him that I would do just as he was saying. But that didn't happen. As a result, over the last 8 years, I have struggled off and on with neglecting my teaching gift even as I led our church in very significant ways. This had to change. Even if Parkway didn't call us me to Pastor the church, I would have pursued every opportunity out there so that I would no longer neglect my gift. I am thankful that Parkway called for long list of reasons not the least of which is that the Godly men of Parkway are the ones that laid hands on me and affirmed my gifts and my calling. They ordained me. They played a significant role in God's setting me apart for ministry. So, it only seems right that God would have me live my calling with people who have affirmed my calling and have shaped my life in such significant ways.

In verse 15, I find my job description. I am excited about the opportunity to devote myself fully to these things. I welcome the opportunity to lead with my whole life so that everyone can witness my growth and experience the same life-change themselves. I also look forward to leading a church that impacts lives.

(Note: Something tells me that I will have to preach this not just type this. So, if you happen to hear this blog posting as a sermon at some point down the road, act like you've never heard it before.)

Comments