Nehemiah and New Orleans

Last Monday, I was in New Orleans shooting video and pics for my next project with Threads Media. It centers on the life and memoirs of Nehemiah. Writing for this project has been very challenging on a number of levels. I will blog more on that on another day. We went to New Orleans so that we could help people connect with and relate to the rebuilding project that Nehemiah led.

We didn't know how powerful a connection this would be until we got there. Let me just tell you that the experience was more powerful and meaningful than any of us expected. Over 3 years after the flood, the destruction was all around us in the upper nineth ward. My guess is that only 1 in 8 houses was inhabited and probably half will never be lived in again. Some people still lived near their flooded out houses in FEMA trailers. TV can't translate how bad a living situation this is. It will be years before its back - if ever. Put these sights into the context of the book of Nehemiah and the spiritual challenges are clear.

Let me share a few:
Rebuilding is more about people than it is about homes.
Rebuilding happens on a variety of levels - physical, spiritual, social, and governmental.
Rebuilding requires risk and courageouss leadership.
Rebuilding will never happen without God's hand.

Heather from the Threads Team took the pic of me on a vintage box camera. She tells me that the pictures of the day are haunting. I will assume that she means the location not the author.

Comments